Sunday, July 11, 2010

WSOP 2010 - Golf in Vegas

As many of you may recall, in years past, I've found great enjoyment in squeezing in a round of golf during my "off" day. This year was no different, except that Jeff, quite surprisingly, accepted my invitation to join me on the links. Why is this odd? Well Jeff isn't much of a "golfer" although he did quickly point out that he's played in at least a couple of times in the last 15 years. My follow-up question really got me intrigued about what I was getting into: "Hey Jeff, want to borrow my clubs or will you rent some?" Jeff is left-handed and was a bit puzzled as to whether he should rent some left-handed clubs or play as a righty (I'd estimate that most any other golfer in the world would have a pretty strong preference to play with the correct clubs!). He finally answered with a big smile: "Well, I suppose it doesn't matter much for me, now does it!" Now I'm really wondering what I've gotten myself into! I'm about to take someone golfing who doesn't care which side of the ball they hit from nor does he play more than once every five years! Jeff assures me that it'll be ugly, but we'll have a blast.

So we get out to the course and I graciously spot him a "2 for 1" handicap. Basically, we'll divide his score by 2 and we'll keep track from there. Oh...also worth mentioning, this was a par 3 course, so the holes were very short, which assisted a great deal in keeping our match even! Anyway, the match was insanely competitive until the very end when Jeff finished with a bang. I'd have needed a birdie on the final hole just to match his score.

Ahh, but here's the fun part. Annie has been pushing me to use more pictures (which I've done), but also is still hoping for me to capture a video of my adventures. Well, poker is pretty darn tricky to put to video without a hole camera, so why not catch some golf action? Well, click on the link below to see Jeff in action... you'll quickly notice that Jeff was correct in not caring about which side of the ball to hit from as his was able to go from righty to lefty to righty with no trouble! Oh, I also informed Jeff that he could drop from the bush in the video, but he refused to back down from the challenge!

No comments:

Post a Comment